Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Buses

This is a subject I'm terrified to think about. I've never really used public transportation in my life... at least not like this. Taking a subway in New York is very straightforward—there are maps everywhere, clearly labeled tracks, and schedules. It's all a logical system.
Public transportation in Dar looks terrifyingly opposite. People jump on and off buses while they're still moving! I swear I saw people hanging out of the doorways, trying to squeeze themselves in. And the lucky few who manage to get a window seat are hanging halfway out for fresh air.

I'm determined to be a bus-riding pro by the end of this. Just wait.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tsytsyfly I'm so glad you made it safely. I'm sure you're going to become a pro at the buses in no time. I can picture you now running after a bus and jumping on with your hair swinging out. Lol! You'll be laughing over the excitement of it. I love you and miss you very much. Love, Aunt Niecy xoxoxo
    P.S. Are you proud of me that I figured out this blog thing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the buses painted fun colors?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do people buy bus tickets in Africa? In Naples laws are a joke and the game is to ride the buses and try not to get caught w.o tickets.... oh, Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's snowing here right now. And it's cold. Thought you'd want to know ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. there are no tickets in africa... that sounds awfully sophisticated. you hop on and pay the driver sometime before you hop off.

    and the buses are color coded based on their routes. so the purple/red striped bus comes onto campus, and a red stripe all around takes you to a place called Big Brother. those are the only buses i know so far... but i think i'm really making progress lol

    ReplyDelete